Wednesday, July 8, 2009

For My Mother

Well, the internet here at the Cathays Library is being a real pain and is taking amillion years to log me into my email server. So, I'm just going to have to post my email to her here. It's a good thing that I started writing this out in Word while I was waiting for this page to load or I may never have gotten it done. Especially since I only have 8 minutes left on my internet time. Sick, I know. Hopefully I'll go down to an internet cafe today where they only charge £1 for an hour so that's not too bad. I can get a lot done in that time if the connection is fast enough. Anways, feel free to read this post, it's just aimed at my mother since she's the one who asked me about this stuff.

Hey momma!!

I’m relly sorry that I didn’t get to email you yesterday. Actually, I have no idea if the email that I wrote and hit send actually sent to you – so here’s what I said just in case.

I got your recipe and we made it last night – it was pretty much delicious. I had to make some minor adjustments, though, because there were a few things I couldn’t find, which surprised me. Like ricotta cheese! I’m the UK you would think that they would have that – seeing as we’re closer to italy. I went to 2 different grocery stores and didn’t finding it. Finally I settled on some mascarpone (which was yummy, but a little pricey) and so that worked out. Also, they only sell parmesan in really big chunks so we didn’t want to buy and because we would never use the entire block. But, we did have some really sharp cheddar in the fridge so I just like, finely chopped it up (since we don’t have a cheese grader) and added it to the filling. Also, I couldn’t find a bag of just spinach so we had to use a bag of fresh mixed spinach salad which had watercress and something else in it that I’d never heard of. I chopped that all up and added it. Anyway – it still turned out really yummy so it’s all good I guess.

Yesterday after class we had free time so we went to downtown Cardiff (near Cardiff Castle) and looked around at all the shops and stuff. It was really cool. We went to this department store called M&S and upstairs they have like a little cafĂ©/bistro thing, kind of like they do at IKEA only smaller and a little nicer. Anyway I had an egg salad sandwich with watercress on whole wheat bread and a cheese jacket potato (which is basically a baked potato with cheese all over it) anyway it was really good. Something that’s also different about being here in Europe is that they drink a lot of sparkling water. Yeah, it’s strange. I just always have to make sure that when I buy water that it’s “still” so that it’s not that weird carbonated stuff. It’s like drinking soda water.

We also went to McDonalds. And let me tell you – they are a lot nicer here than they are back home. The one we went to was 2 stories and had like plasma TVs in it and everything! They also have a different £ menu which has a crispy chicken sandwhich on it and medium fried and all of their McFlurrys, which are really yummy because they have English candy in them. I had one with these things called “smarties” in it, which are like m&ms but they aren’t really as good. Also, we went to a place called Poundland and momma – they sell giant boxes of malteasers for £1. I know. I will be bringing you back some when I come home, don’t you worry :D

We#re going to London tomrrow!! Andn seeing A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Globe! Now, this is going to sound a little ridiculous but I have a little pet peave that I need to tell someone about before I explode. Everyone here keeps calling it A Midsummers Night dream. Whhich doesn't make any sense because it's not the Midsummer's dream, it's the Night's dream. For a bunch of English majors they sure don't know the Shakespeare. *sigh* Wow, I feel much better getting that off my chest. We're leaving at like 5:30 in the mo rning though, which is going to be rough but oh well. It'll be worth it.

Well, that's all for now. If I'm able to get online at the internet cafe later maybe i'll send you an actual email. I'm also going to try and call y'all using the magic jack sometime this weekend so just be expecting to hear from me! I love you all and I'll see you in a few months!!

No comments: